Caution Your device and personal data are more vulnerable to threats such as Ransomware from apps downloaded from unknown sources.
Installing APK files on Android devices has been pretty easy since the beginning and users simply had to unlock the developer options and turn on the Unknown Sources option.
However, in order to make Android devices more secure and avoid apps from installing malware on the device, Google removed the unknown sources option.
The move was made to ensure apps do not automatically install unwanted apps and malware on Android devices; however, if you simply want to sideload an APK file to your device, then here’s the new way to install apps from ‘unknown sources’ on Android Pie.
STEPS TO ACTIVATE UNKNOWN SOURCES ON GALAXY S9
- Go to the Home screen
- Swipe the Notification screen from the top of the screen
- Click the gear icon to enter the Settings menu
- Tap on “Device Security”
- You’ll see a section for “Unknown Sources” once you scroll down
- Tap on its slider to switch it from OFF to ON
- You can now leave the menus and continue with the installation of your apps
Now your Samsung Galaxy S9 will accept third-party apps from unknown sources. However, we’d recommend switching it off after using it to keep your device safe from malicious apps. So, proceed with caution whenever you are enabling this feature.